For those looking for a cranberry relish that's just a little bit different, for your own holiday table or to bring to someone else's -- here's my current favorite (from Cooking Light).
- 2 cups chopped dried apples
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries (craisins)
- 2 cups cranberry juice cocktail
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 8 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1 Tablespoon grated lemon rind.
Combine first 7 ingredients in a large saucepan, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 25 minutes. Add rind, and simmer 2 minutes. Cover and chill. Yield: 16 servingsSince I generally cook for a small group, I halve the ingredients. Can be held in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. In fact, I think it needs at least one day for the flavors to mingle and mellow.