Saturday, January 5, 2008

Nothing Beats a Pair...

...of socks, that is. Pretty much everything beats a pair in poker. Luckily I was knitting, instead of at the poker table with my cutthroat kids!

So, the first FO (finished object) of 2008 -- Specs: Regia Cotton Surf sock yarn, 41% wool/34% cotton/25% polyamide. Cast on 64 stitches for ribbing, decrease to 60 for leg, standard heel flap with Dutch heel, reduce stitches to 52 for a narrower foot, knit round and round and Bob's your uncle!, a pair of socks.

And just so you don't think I'm resting on my laurels, here's the second --

From the book "Get Your Crochet On" by Afya Ibomu -- the Soldier cap. Crocheted from Paton's Classic Merino, which was on sale at JoAnn's -- modifications: cap made deeper, and brim made one row longer. It doesn't dip so far down on a human (that would be me) -- oddly enough my own noggin is a bit bigger than Styrofoam Head Guy. Although this book seems to be focused upon hip, urban youth (and I am none of those things) I found several styles that I would make. Her hint on adding thin elastic cording to the edges of the hats -- invaluable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful socks! And some day I'm going to have to knit a hat like that, because that's definitely the shape that my kids are wearing and preferring.

Karen said...

Gotta love a snappy little brim!

LizzieK8 said...

I like the socks, too. Very nice!

Lesalicious said...

I love the soldier cap I also have that book but, yet to try it out great job on the cap and socks. :)