Tuesday, April 15, 2008

All Done

I don't seem to be able to get a decent photo of this one, but finally finished the Soft Serve (Doris Chan, Everyday Crochet) made in Kimono Ribbon by Louisa Harding.




I think this will be a nice little wardrobe addition -- just enough to dress up a tank and linen slacks, but without being too fussy. I lead a fairly casual life, but every once in a while it's nice to make a little effort. Here's a closeup shot that may convey a little of the nice gleam the ribbon has:


The color runs from light gold through a coppery brown to an almost black dark chocolate brown. I don't see it listed on the Louisa Harding site, so perhaps it made its way to Elann as a discontinued color. This is my first time using Kimono Ribbon, although I've knit with many other ribbon yarns, and I would say it's fairly typical of a ribbon -- it really wants to twist and turn while you're working with it. I'm not one to try to keep it flat and smooth while stitching (and I wonder if you even could with crochet) so that didn't bother me too much. It's a nylon yarn, so to block I simply ironed it. As I mentioned previously, I'm not sure if the heat will 'set' the yarn (as in killing acrylic) or if it will return to its crunched up shape when I wash it. If I'd made a gauge swatch (I know, I know...)I could test it out with that, but since I didn't I'll just wait and see. Why no gauge swatch? Well, sometimes I take a chance when working in one piece from the neck down -- you can often "swatch as you go" when working that way, especially if you don't mind a little ripping. But kids, please don't try this at home!

2 comments:

Mary Sarah said...

It turned out great! You're right ... it will be perfect to jazz up a casual look and I think it could go pretty fancy looking too! I'll confess. I don't always swatch either. (Oh no!) You'll have to let me know how you like the ASG. Later!

Julie said...

I think it looks great, I will have to try to work with ribbon some time.