Monday, October 21, 2013

A "Quick" Knit

One good thing about moving, you never know when some forgotten project bobs back up to the surface.  I had two pieces of this sweater completed (except for ribbing) when it got shoved into a project bag and ... nothing, totally ignored for months.

Time to get this one done, and into the finished column.  This was a machine knit project, and naturally I had neglected to label my nice big swatch with the machine settings I used to achieve the gauge of the original pieces.  Amazingly though I did have the Sweater Wizard generated pattern I was working from -- small victories.  At any rate, taking a guess (and crossing my fingers) I went with my best estimate.  Whew, must be a good guesser, as it worked out to be a matching gauge.

Specs:  Machine Knit (Silver Reed LK-150) drop shouldered pullover worked in Silk City Fibers Stretch Cotton, color Blue Jeans.  Waist, sleeve and neckline ribbing handknit in a K2, P2 rib.

Sizing cotton sweaters tends to be a real headache for me -- make it exactly  the finished dimensions you require then watch it sag and grow.  I'm hopeful the little bit of Lycra in this yarn will help with that -- we'll see. 

I was working with two cones of this yarn, and still have a good bit left -- wonder if Mr. Monty would like a hoodie to match?

Friday, October 18, 2013


All assembled, and ready to be put away as cooler weather approaches -- Dansez, from the book "Knit to Flatter" by Amy Herzog.  Knit in Silk City Fibers Stretch Cotton, color Sand. 

Alterations:  neckline brought up a bit higher, and short row bust darts made, in addition to the vertical bust darts called for in the pattern.

  This pattern is a scoop neck, three-quarter length sleeved pullover with set in sleeves.  Worked in stockinette stitch, with a simple lace pattern at the hip and lower sleeve.  The neckline has a simple rolled edge finish.  Knit in pieces (back, front and sleeves) and sewn together.  Actually, I used a crocheted chain stitch to join the pieces, as I wasn't sure about sizing, and I thought it would be easy to 'unzip' the seams and re-do if necessary.  The fit seemed fine, and the seams looked good, so the crocheted seams stayed.  I love when things work out that way!

As can be surmised from its title, Amy's book is all about fit -- by identifying our particular body type, then choosing styles that will best flatter each type (she profiles three types --  top-heavy, bottom-heavy and proportional).  She gives instructions for techniques to customize to your individual shape, and there are patterns for sweaters -- geared to each of her three types.  I haven't studied the book well enough to give an in-depth review, but I have liked what I've seen so far.  I think it would certainly be helpful to any knitter who is interested in customizing, and adding shape, to their knitwear. 

Amy favors what she calls vertical bust dart shaping -- basically the front is knit wider than the back at the bust (hip and waist measurements remain the same), but she also covers how to do short row bust darts.  I like that she advises waist shaping done in the interior of the pieces, rather than at the edges, a technique I first encountered in a Lily Chin class years ago -- it's a sleeker look I think.  At any rate, take a look at this book if you are at all interested in learning some basic fitting techniques for knits.

Thursday, October 3, 2013


Did you ever have a project that stalled for the silliest of reasons?  Yeah, I thought so.  I have had this little cardigan knitted up since the end of August, and it has languished on top of the cedar chest because I just couldn't bring myself to work in the ends.  All fourteen of them.  I know, I know,  I'm just a sloth.

The pattern is Brynna, by Chic Knits.  The yarn used was Rowan Wool Cotton, a 50/50 blend of merino wool and cotton.  Put up in 50 g. balls, 123 yards per ball.  This yarn was an absolute delight to knit, and I kind of wish I had more.  Kind of, because I am still trying to find a place for all the containers of yarn that made the move.  Discontinued color, which I thought was a lovely caramel brown, but apparently the folks at Rowan called it pumpkin.  I just can't get away from orange, even when I try.  Body was lengthened and sleeves were made longer than the pattern's cap sleeves, but shorter than the 3/4 length pattern variation.  I made it to work as a little transitional topper, and I think it fits the bill. 

Waiting on the sidelines -- Dansez Pullover from the book "Knit To Flatter" by Amy Herzog.  The knitting portion of the program is done, and it lies in four pieces, waiting to be seamed together and the ends run in.  It was knit from a coned yarn (Stretch Cotton by Silk City Fibers) so it probably doesn't have more than 14 ends to run in either -- so we'll see how long it takes me to get around to that one.  I'm hoping publicly mentioning it is done except for assembly will embarrass me into actually doing it.  Ha!