Friday, September 20, 2019

Eco Crafting

In an effort to cut back on waste produced in this household, there have been some projects made to replace throw-away or short term use items.  Here are a few --

Cloth napkins -- super easy to make, and pleasant to use.  I like to use quality cotton quilting fabric -- sometimes bought specially, but often leftovers from other projects.  Who says your napkins all have to match?  For meals I like a napkin around 18" square (finished size) -- 10" squares would give you a good size for cocktail napkins to hand out with drinks and nibbles.

In the kitchen I have gone through too many plastic covered sponge scrubbies to count. I'm currently trying out some homemade scrubbies made with Red Heart Scrubby Sparkle yarn. It's polyester, so not ideal, but seems to stay fresher than my former scrubby and so far is holding up well. For knitters, there's a nice pattern on  Ravelry  If crochet is your thing -- Midwesternmoms.com has you covered.


How about replacing plastic wrap with some waxed wraps?  There are many instructional sites online -- I went with a link I found on www.apartmenttherapy.com



And finally, a hanging hand towel for cutting back on paper towel use, or wiping hands on the nearest dishtowel.  No link or pattern for this one, as it's just a prototype I made up myself one evening. Will need some tweaks before it shows up as a mini tutorial.  This one is made from some scrap heavy weight cotton, and I finally got around to trying out Kam snaps  -- very easy to use, we'll see how they hold up.










No comments: