Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Crankin' it up

Here at MinglingYarn we have a major love for cozy wool socks. So, when physical issues interfered with handknitting production I turned to a CSM (circular sockknitting machine) from Erlbachergearhart to keep up production.

 I got the Speedster and a couple of different sized cylinders -- but decided to forgo the ribber unit until I knew whether or not this machine and I were a good fit.  Although there is a definite learning curve, it wasn't too long until I was cranking out warm, toasty socks.  Surprisingly, we didn't find the lack of ribbing to be a deal breaker, so I decided to keep on without the added investment (and additional learning curve) of the ribber.  If I were interested in selling socks I would reconsider, since most folks tend to like that look, but since I'm not -- well, no brainer, more money for yarn!

I also added a small cone winder to make knitting easier.  Early days saw me using a regular 'cake' winder, but the yarn feeds off much easier when wound on a cone.  The Royal cone winder works well, but they seem to be a bit harder to find here in the US, so I ordered one from Germany. Their website has an English translation, but for those interested you're looking for a Kleiner Konenwickler (small cone winder). Absolutely no issues with ordering, and delivery was prompt.



Currently being knit are some plain grey socks from Valley Yarns Huntington which is a house brand from Webs. This yarn seems a bit lighter in weight than my usual, but after washing they fluffed up enough to make an acceptable fabric.

Hemmed top, and a wide mock ribbing down the leg only.

Also being finished are some socks from Brown Sheep's sock yarn (and I'm blanking on it's name, because it's from DEEP stash).  These are hemmed top and totally plain knit.  The neon green yarn in the photo is waste yarn used to take the socks off the machine.  That sock is still waiting for me to graft the toe closed.




No comments: