Monday, June 15, 2020

Clubbing

Yarn clubbing, that is.  Every once in a while I get the urge to try something new, and I'll join a yarn club.  I'm generally very particular about what I like to knit, and what yarn I use, but it's fun to mix it up at times. My latest venture into the yarn unknown was the Knit Spot Bare Naked Wools Club 2020. Three installments -- from the website -- "Each one includes a 4 0z. skein of natural, undyed yarn and exclusive patterns by Ann Hanson..."

What I also enjoy about yarn clubs is that the projects are usually interesting, but small enough to provide entertainment without a lifetime commitment.  The first mailing was a skein of Friesian DK -- which is a sheep fiber I have never run across before, and the pattern was for either a hat or scarf.  That one still awaits the needles. The second project was cast on fairly quickly though, and I am proud to say was finished before the final yarn mailing arrived. I don't think I've ever managed that trick before -- OK, it was finished in the morning and the new yarn arrived that afternoon, but still!

The yarn used was Bare Naked Wools Shetlandia, which is a 100% Shetland wool, listed as fingering weight on the yarn label, but as a "light fingering" on its Ravelry listing, and is a 2-ply woolen spun yarn.  The pattern was Highland Spring by Ann Hanson.

I would quibble with listing the yarn as a fingering weight, and the particular skein I knit from ranged from maybe a light fingering (whatever that might be) to laceweight and even a cobweb weight in small runs. Still, it was pleasant to knit with and still had a nice, sheepy fragrance. The pattern was both charted and written out, and was clear and accurate.  The end result? A lovely, small shawl (or large scarf) that I will enjoy wearing in cooler weather.



And a slightly closer shot -- 


The pattern for the final club project hasn't been released yet, but will probably wait for a while to be started, as I have moved on to a crochet experiment. I call it that because it entails both machine knitting and crochet, and will need to successfully hit the dye bath in order to fit into my current color scheme. So far I have worked out ideas for the front, sleeves and back, but am still thinking about trim. Here's a sneak peek to what may turn into a garment, or may just be an attractive swatch!










No comments: