Monday, September 28, 2020

B is for Basics




Lots of sewing -- lots of pics.

The weather finally turned cool for a short moment (warm and humid today though, ugh!) and I finally got the urge to sew up a few things for autumn. Nothing fancy, nothing to 'ooh and ahh' over -- just down to earth basics that will see a lot of wear. And the best thing? All from patterns that have been sewn before, so just straight, fast sewing with not a care in the world about fit. 

 I've been a big fan of Style Arc patterns for years now, and I reached way back in the pattern drawer for their Cosy Cardi. It's a streamlined cardigan -- no frills, drapes or fussy bits -- but it's one I reach for time and again. I was using a knit with very little stretch, so this one got graded up in circumference with the length remaining the same. 


It will be worn open, so no buttons or snaps -- the thick knit doesn't lend itself to either. In the photo it's pinned together at the neck so as not to expose the model. Yes, it's just a bit of plastic, but I'm not about to risk running afoul of internet standards.








Next another Style Arc pattern -- Brooklyn. This is sewn in a double sided knit, black with white spots on one side, black and white stripes on the other. It's a loose boxy top and will work well in cooler weather with an under layer.


A twinset (of sorts):  The cardigan is McCall 6844 and the pullover is a mash up of Pamela's Patterns Perfect Tee and the cowl from Sewaholic Patterns Renfrew Top (links in next garment). Fabric is a grey rayon/poly rib knit from Fabric Mart.





I've combined two patterns in the next make -- Pamela's Patterns Perfect Tee for the body, and Sewaholic Patterns Renfrew Top for the cowl neck.



Anyone noticing a neckline trend? Yes, I do love a cowl neck. Fabric is a bamboo jersey from Emma One Sock.








It can't be All Cowls All the Time though -- the next one is Kwik Sew 3658. I love the bamboo jersey knit from Emma One Sock and hope it holds up in the laundry, but I'm a bit nervous that the white markings may crack with repeated washing. Although it is a vee neck, it comes up in the back to keep my neck nice and cozy. 


And lastly, a garment from last season that I don't think ever was featured. I know it was made too late to be worn in the autumn and it really isn't a style for really cold weather. It's a coat/cardigan combo (coatigan?) and is McCall 7476.


.
Again, it's pinned at the neckline to preserve plastic modesty, but will be worn open, or with a beaded silver/grey kilt type pin that I have.

The fabric is a dark grey boiled wool/rayon blend and the trim is a knit which I think is a wool or wool blend popcorn textured fabric. Both were from Fabric Mart, but I'm sure they are long since sold out.




And a closer look at the trim fabric:


Still no slacks, but I finally got the Connie Crawford slacks/pants sloper, so I hope to start on that soon. 

No comments: