Saturday, September 12, 2020

The Best Laid Plans...

 ...or, what didn't make the cut.


Normally before sewing starts for a new season I lay out the fabric I want to use, and then search through the pattern stash for what I want to make it into. I leave the fabric out on the counter in the sewing room as a reminder.  But this season life got abnormal. So here are the fabrics that didn't make their debut this season.


I had great hopes for refining the fit on a pair of woven slacks. I was bound and determined to make the Gobi  culottes -- neither happened. In fact, no slacks, culottes or shorts happened. Sigh.

  I am thinking of working with the Connie Crawford pants block from Islander Sewing. I've had very good results with the two bodice blocks of hers that I have recently fitted, so hopes are high that the pants sloper might work out too. I feel good about the fit I get from the Style Arc knit pants draft, but a nicely fitted woven slack eludes me.  The grey twill may still be in play if that happens.




This was the season I was going to make a couple of loose, flowy, silk tops. Nope.



The Liberty silk (background) has been featured before, the red silk from Fabric Mart hasn't  -- these still have a (small) chance to be sewn up soon, but the problem is -- where will I wear them?  Silk is definitely not my go to fabric for everyday/around the house wear.    








Then there were two pieces of woven cotton -- the grey gingham check was slated to be a tunic length shirt, the overdyed seersucker almost made it into a Style Arc top. I'm sad about the grey gingham -- that is a seriously nice piece of cotton shirting. Sold by Fabric Mart as a Thomas Mason shirting, it would make a great man's shirt too, if one were so inclined (I am not.)




And lastly, a border print rayon challis. Sorry rayon challis -- you did not get made into a short-sleeved summer top. Better luck next season!



So, into the stash closet for these fabrics. What will take their place on the counter for autumn sewing? Stay tuned.


No comments: