Sunday, August 12, 2007

Procrastination: Take 1

For your viewing pleasure -- a work in progress -- Boteh Scarf by Kathy Merrick, from the Spring 2007 issue of Interweave Crochet. This uniquely shaped scarf is a joy to crochet. The design calls for a slightly lighter weight yarn (Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock)than I am using (Elann's Peruvian Alpaca) but I think it works in this weight too. I've done just over half of the motifs, then there's a simple hdc border around the entire thing. It's going quickly, and is an easily memorized pattern. Highly recommend it, and I'm anxious to see how it works up in some Koigu I have.

Since I was using stash yarn for the scarf, and a major portion of the Sandy cardigan is also stash, I thought it would be interesting to start a little tally of skeins/balls used from stash. Not in a limiting "I'm only using stash, not buying" kind of way, but just to see how much I can use in a set amount of time -- maybe six months? Or until I get tired of doing it, or (more likely) start forgetting to keep track. Of course, to be actually useful I would probably need to keep a log of all the skeins/balls coming into the house also. We won't go there though -- too scary.

And speaking of scary -- perhaps I planted a few too many cherry tomatoes? It may be time to haul out the juicer!

The Sandy saga continues. We're getting very close to the end, but since I can not stay focused (see above procrastination) who knows when a finished photo will show up? Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Jude said...

The scarf is absolutely beautiful!!! I haven't been crocheting recently (I caught the knitting bug), but this looks too good to pass up!
Thanks for the inspiration
Jude

Karen said...

Thanks, Jude -- I do like the way it's working up. Even though my yarn is heavier I think the fact that it is alpaca helps keep the whole thing nice and drapey.