Friday, January 11, 2008

SWAP

I recently attended an ASG (American Sewing Guild) neighborhood group meeting that had SWAP (Sewing With A Plan) as the program topic.

This particular version of wardrobe planning was devised by an Australian sewing magazine -- Australian Stitches -- and was later expanded upon by a Canadian fabric retailer into a competition for sew-ists. We really do live in a global village, don't we?

The concept (greatly simplified) is to have a core wardrobe -- mostly sewn, but purchased items too -- that can ALL be worn with each other. You get the idea I'm sure: a certain number of slacks, skirts, tops, a jacket, a dress -- and any garment can be worn with any other item.

At any rate, the meeting got me thinking about doing more garment sewing, and I also started thinking about SWAP knit/crochet style, Stitching With A Plan, perhaps?

I'll admit, it's a problem for me. I see a cute pattern or an intriguing yarn and I have to do something with it, regardless of the practicality. Now, there's nothing wrong with creating just for the fun of it, but I do enjoy wearing the results of my labors too. All too often though, I'll make something I love, but find it only works with (maybe) one other item. How sad that it sits forlornly in the closet, waiting for the stars to align for that perfect moment when its clothing partner fits, is clean, and is appropriate for the weather or event!

There's no way I'll ever attempt an entirely crochet/knit wardrobe of course. Crochet trousers? What madness! But I do think I'll start to be more discerning about the wardrobe items I make in future. Frankly, I'd be thrilled if something I made went well with 2 other clothing choices, never mind everything. We'll see how this develops.

I've pulled a few fabrics from the stash (yup, got one of those too) and I'm in the process of trying to figure out what they could become and to match them up with yarns/patterns I already have to make some useful co-ordinates. Wish me luck -- and does anyone notice the latest WIP (work in progress) peeking out among the fabric? More on that later, but here's a hint -- Doris Chan.

2 comments:

Karla said...

I just found your blog. It's really nice. I love all the crochet you've done. I've been crocheting for almost 2 years now and hope to begin making garments for myself soon.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mingling Yarn: I was intrigued by your new wardrobe
attitude. As someone who crochets, quilts,and sews garments
and other stuff, I have adopted the
"Amish Attitude": All Solid Colors
Match! I have been doing my clothes this way for a while and it really helps. You can always add a few patterned things to make
the outfits more exciting. I am
a Chubby Woman so I tend not to
use prints, especially large, busy
ones. Hope this helps.
succah12@smile.net.il.