Sunday, June 1, 2008

New Beginnings

It's taken me a while to decide what to make from the Soie Bambou yarn I got from Elann. The yarn is a silk/bamboo blend that comes on a small cone -- 680 yards (624 m.) per 8 oz. (227 g.) cone. Browsing through a Japanese crocheted lace book I came across an attractive triangular shawl, and I thought I'd try the yarn in that.




There are several things I'd like to make in this book -- I've previously done a scarf in SeaSilk, the items range from small coin purses and sachet covers to shawls, scarves and a few garments. Typical Japanese attention to details, and lovely feminine designs.



I've probably shown this before, but here's what Japanese crochet patterns look like (the ink photographs rather light, but clicking to make bigger may help) --


As shown in the pattern, the lower edges are finished off with fringe. Not being particularly fond of fringe, I'll go with a different edging -- no idea what at the moment, but I'm thinking something with beads.



The yarn called for is (I believe) something called "Suvin" by Yokota & Co. It's a cotton, with 140 m. per 25 g. ball, so it's a good bit lighter than the Soie Bambou. I'm guessing to get to the finished size listed I would crochet fewer rows, but it's on the small side, so crocheting the number of rows given may give me the larger size I want -- we'll see how that goes.



Others (on Ravelry mostly) have noted they have had splitting problems with the yarn. I haven't been bothered by that -- I wonder if it's because I'm crocheting rather than knitting with it? In any event, the yarn is working up nicely, and so far I'm very pleased with it -- more details later, as warranted.



1 comment:

Mary Sarah said...

It's gonna be beautiful ... it already is! I love the color you chose and the stitch pattern!