Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Biltmore

So, we took a little jaunt down to Asheville, NC -- lovely area, you'd think I would have brought a camera, yes? Well, no, so you'll just have to imagine your own lovely place. One of the things we did (naturally) was tour Biltmore Estate, which bills itself as "America's Largest Home" -- although if no one lives there, is it really a home? But I digress. It's large, it's impressive, and filled with the sort of things you'd expect the ultra-wealthy of 1895 to have in their homes, but all I could think about? The only place in the entire pile that had decent light for stitching was the massive, cold, stone staircase! How did they manage? Even on a bright, sunny day with the home's lights on it was so dark -- thank goodness for today's abundant natural light and full-spectrum lighting!



The spouse came back with a nasty, brutish cold, which he graciously shared with me, so only little projects to spotlight. I did manage to finish the Selbu Modern beret, and what an attractive little hat it is. Worked in Koigu PPM/PPPM it was a nice re-introduction to 2-color knitting for me. The pattern was available free from Rosie's Yarn Cellar -- not sure if it was for a limited time only, or if it's still there, but poke around if you're interested.





I still need some work on properly controlling tension once the work leaves the circular needle and is on dpn's, but it's quite attractive nonetheless. Color me pleased! Hopefully, this is a practice run for the long marinating Starmore vest.



The car trip knitting was (no surprise) some socks -- and won't those colors brighten up a winter's day?

5 comments:

Margaret said...

Asheville is fun, and Biltmore is wonderful! I think some of the family actually still do live upstairs!

Jude said...

thanks for the comment on the candy corn bags.

I love the hat...beautiful colors!!! I'm going to have to try to make one of those, myself.

Unknown said...

BEEUtimus!!!!!
YOu are a talented lady!

Anonymous said...

That post from Stephen is actually from me,,, Brenda. I do not know why his name is there.

Karen said...

Oh Brenda, you've destroyed my illusions! Here I thought I had a new gentleman admirer (wink) See you on Sat.