Thursday, March 24, 2011

Who knew...

...I had a cotton 'crop' languishing in the garden?






My little experiment with growing cotton last season ended with (I thought) no actual cotton fiber from the tight, green bolls left on the plants as the weather turned cold. Imagine my surprise when Mr. Minglingyarn was out in the garden cleaning things up in preparation for some early planting and came back with a few opened bolls that were filled with fiber! After removing it from the bolls, taking out the seeds and fluffing it up a bit, it seems none the worse for wear -- hard to imagine after it spent the entire winter out in the elements.



There's not enough of it to actually do anything with -- even if I wanted to, but I think I'll take those seeds and plant them and see what happens this year. At least I know that those pesky woodchucks don't bother eating cotton!

No comments: