Wednesday, August 10, 2011

DAY 3 - the lining

I was hoping to find a cheeky little print to bring some pizzaz to the inner jacket, but it was not to be. So, Ambiance rayon it is -- in a somewhat similar color to the fashion fabric. Not even the zip of a vibrant orange solid to liven things up -- and yes, I did audition the orange and no, it was not a match made in heaven. Ah well, next time.

I decided to wash the lining fabric as a pre-treatment, although the jacket will be dry cleaned when done (if done?). I also spray starched the fabric prior to ironing it. I find that it's a lot easier to handle that way -- not so much shifting and squirming under the rotary cutter. The downside is that there are faint spray dots that are visible -- these should disappear with the first cleaning, and I don't anticipate anyone looking that closely at my lining. But do be aware of that possibility if you decide to try it yourself.

Onwards to making the same adjustments in the lining pieces (which are all separate pattern pieces in the styleARC line) as I did for the garment pieces. The sleeves weren't changed, so that stays the same. In comparing the lining pieces to the garment pattern pieces I see that the lining pieces are the same EXCEPT for the hem allowances. That simplifies things a lot -- I'll just use the previously adjusted pattern pieces, and fold up the appropriate amount at the hem. I love easy!

So, stitch up the lining, then comes the fun of melding everything together -- wish me luck -- I'm going to try bagging the lining instead of doing any hand sewing. But that's tomorrow's chore -- right now I hear some ice cream calling my name!

No comments: