Monday, August 22, 2011


Getting ready for autumn, with a pullover knit in Rowan Calmer. Papeline, from the winter/spring 2011 issue of Knitscene magazine. Sleeves and hip line have faced hems done in a contrast color. Waist shaping done through decreases/increases along the center of the front and back. For a change, I used the yarn called for in the pattern, and a very pleasant experience it was -- highly recommend Rowan Calmer. The only change I made was to add a pop of the contrast color to the neckline. Several reasons -- I thought it would look good, I wanted to cover up where I had picked up stitches around the neckline for the cowl, and, the neckline dips rather low, so a little extra coverage was called for.

To do this, I put the sweater on and marked the area of the neckline interior that shows when worn. Then, with right side of the garment facing out, I picked up stitches in this crescent shaped area. IIRC, it was about 44 stitches total. I then knit from one end to the other, but stopped short of the end of the row by 3 stitches -- I wrapped and turned and went the other way, each time leaving 3 more stitches unworked at the end of each row. When I felt it was high enough, I knit two final rows, picking up the wraps as I knit. After binding off, I was left with a little crescent shaped 'modesty panel' that fulfilled my requirements. Because I didn't want it to flop about, I worked the little panel in garter stitch -- I thought about using reverse stockinette (to mimic the reverse stockinette of the cowl), but in the end decided not to. Believe me, no one is going to be that close to me that they could tell the difference!

No comments: