Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A slight relapse

I can resist everything except temptation. Oscar Wilde



This weekend the local antiques mall had their semi-annual open house. Varying levels of 'sales' at each booth, and a very tasty array of food. Now, Mr. Minglingyarn cannot resist the lure of free, tasty food, and I can't resist, well, we all know what I can't resist!





It had me at turquoise.



It's a 50's era, straight-stitch only Janome -- which is a clone of the classic Singer 15 series. I'm hoping to pop this into a treadle once it's all clean and shiny and run it as a people-powered machine. The (current) wiring is just a bit suspect, and re-wiring is not one of my skills, so that seems like the safest plan. It came in a cute little table, so I suppose now I have one excess cute little table, and lack an empty treadle -- hmmmm, what to do, what to do?

It came with some non-original attachments/feet, but no owner's manual or any other clues as to its age. I've been told by someone on a vintage Japanese sewing machine list (don't act surprised -- there's an Internet list for everything!) that a similar model dates to 1958. That sounds about right for the look and feel of this one, although I suspect that it may be a year or two older. Regardless, it makes me smile to look at it, and thankfully, there seems to be room for 'just one more' (cue hysterical laughter from Mr. Minglingyarn).

No comments: