Sunday, February 17, 2013

Style Arc Stacie

On the sewing front I'm getting ready for spring by trying out a jean jacket pattern from Style Arc -- I'm planning on making it in a nice bright color for spring, but wanted to check the fit before cutting into my lovely orange fabric.  Luckily I had some nice stretch corduroy on hand which will work well in my wardrobe next autumn.

After measuring the pattern, I thought it wise to give myself a little extra room in the bust and the hip area.  The shoulders generally fit well for me in Style Arc patterns, so I left that as it was, and the waist seemed to be good also.  Basically, I felt I needed a FBA (full bust adjustment) and just a scootch more room around the hips.  Adding to the side seams of front and back pieces by tapering out from the waist to about 1/4 inch from the hip gave me a much appreciated extra inch.  The FBA was made by adding slightly to two of the lower front pieces -- again, tapering to nothing at the waist.  The front yoke piece remained the same size.  I think it worked fairly well, and the jacket can be comfortably worn closed should I ever want to. 

Fasteners are from Snap Source -- I used the size 20 (1/2 inch or 13 mm) caps in the antique brass finish.  I really like the ease of applying these snaps, and they come in a wide range of colors. 

This time, the fabric was so 'springy' and thick that I had a little trouble keeping it from shifting while I placed the middle layer of the snap tool on the fabric.  Luckily, I discovered that a pencil could hold the fabric steady while I was doing that, and because the middle layer has a pencil sized hole in it I could keep the fabric held down until everything was securely in place.  Worked a charm.





And here's the jacket being worn, but before I had applied the snaps --



 I think it will be a nice layer for changeable spring weather -- once again, Style Arc comes through!

2 comments:

me said...

Karen - I love your jacket. I've had my eye on that pattern but will wait until fall. I'm moving soon, then off the the mtns for the summer. Your fabric looks like a good choice. Did you post on SG and I missed it??
Marciae

Karen said...

Yup, it made its debut on SG minus the snaps! I was pleased with how it turned out, and I think it will be handy in a lighter weight fabric for spring too.