Monday, November 11, 2019

Getting my beret on

Getting a bit chilly these days, so time to think about sewing up some new head coverings. I turn to an old favorite -- Vogue 9082 by designer Patricia Underwood. Now out of print, but well worth searching out if you like sewing hats. This one pattern has you covered stylishly, with 5 different hats plus an ascot.  I chose to make a beret.

Since I had some cuts of silk necktie fabric I decided to use that for the top and also as a bias band around the lower brim. The crown of the hat is wool melton, and the lining is a scrap of rayon bemberg. To give the silk a bit more body, I quilted it in a simple diamond pattern to some thin batting I had on hand.  

A hat like this is quick and easy to sew -- if, of course, the pattern you're using is well drafted like this one -- 


No comments: