Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Topping Up

 Time to assess my sewing this past (almost) winter season. Most of the garments made were tops, simply because that was what I considered most useful in our current pandemic situation. I had planned to work on a fitting block for slacks, but put that aside because I found I didn't need any additional winter slacks. So, tops.

I made two versions of the Toasters  Sweater: version 1 was sewn from a microfleece from fabric.com that is light weight and drapey - although firm enough to hold the collar shape. 


The color worked well for me, and this was in constant wardrobe rotation. 


The second version was made from a much heavier fabric - a Liberty sweatshirting that I found at The Fabric Store Online. Not sure if the sweatshirting is still available, but they carry a wide range of lovely Liberty fabrics. It's also where I shop for merino jersey which makes an appearance later.



I made this later in the season, so it has had limited wear, but it's great on those days that you need an extra bit of cozy!  It's been my experience that the Liberty sweatshirt fabric holds up nicely in terms of color retention and lack of pilling, so I expect it will still be looking good next cold season.


When I saw some double-faced all wool sweater yardage at Fabric Mart (no longer available) I was smitten even though I really didn't need another grey sweater. When I saw it go on sale - well, need I say more?

This was sewn up in a hooded cardigan from StyleArc. I used the reverse side of the fabric for the cuffs and front band. I thought about doing the lower band in contrast also, but decided I didn't need extra attention to the hips. The pockets were also done in the darker color. I figured the inside of the hood would show contrast so that would be enough to look intentional.


It warmed up right after I sewed this, so it hasn't been worn yet. It will see lots of wear in the future though.


I needed some new turtleneck tops, so I made a few from the merino jersey I mentioned previously. This fabric is the absolute perfect base layer for someone (like me) who is constantly cold in winter months. It isn't inexpensive, and it isn't always easy to find in the US (which is why I order from NZ) but this is one of my all-time favorite fabrics. 

So, 3 tops, all made from Burda 6990, which is my TNT pattern for raglan sleeved tee tops.

Colors are vintage cerise, graphite and black and all have been worn constantly. I launder them by soaking in a wool wash and spinning in my washer, then hanging to dry (on a sloped shoulder hanger). Don't look so shocked - they are practically dry after their spin and are light enough not to stretch out when hung - of course your mileage may vary. When dry I do store them folded.



And lastly, I made up a sweatshirt type top from an OOP Burda (pattern 8569). I used a wool/poly blend, which I'm guessing is more poly than wool by how hard it was to press. I love Fabric Mart, but I do wish they would label fiber proportions on the blends they sell. At any rate, I top stitched the garment into submission and it has seen a bit of wear this past season. So, not a favorite that i reach for constantly, but a nice serviceable layer nonetheless.





And that was how my winter sewing went. I'm happy with all of it, even the less liked Burda 8569, so I'm going to call it a successful season.


And now, bring on the warmer weather!

No comments: