Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Autumn Prep

And autumn sewing begins -- as usual, I begin with tops.

First up is Style Arc Preston. This is sewn in a cotton blend double-faced fabric. I've left off the side seam pockets (fabric too bulky and no suitable replacement on hand) and I've added a cowl style collar instead of ribbing. When the weather is cool I like the added warmth of fabric on my neck instead of open styles. The stripe reverse was used for the cowl and bands on the sleeve. An easy, comfortable style that will be a casual wear workhorse.










The next top was meant as a test garment, but I think it will be in everyday rotation even though I made a bonehead mistake and cut it out with stretch going lengthwise instead of around the body. I was on auto-pilot cutting it out and didn't realize that stretch on this fabric was going the opposite direction than usual. Doh! It's a boxy style though, and it fits fine nonetheless, so we'll see how it goes for around the house wear. The pattern is Sew House Seven Toaster Sweater, version 2 (funnel neck). I found the neck opening to be wider than I would like, and if I make it again will bring it in a bit and maybe add a little height.



And finally, two tops which were adapted from Style Arc Abigail. I wanted a swing top, and thought it would work with a few minor changes. I changed the V neck to a rounded neckline and added (yet another!) cowl collar. Since I wasn't doing a V neck I didn't need the front seam and just placed the center front of the pattern on the fold and cut as usual. The red version is merino wool jersey, and has the sleeves adapted to be fuller and gathered into cuffs. The dotted black/white version has the Abigail standard sleeve, and is a rayon/Lycra jersey.



                                                                          


                           




 

No comments: