Monday, November 7, 2022

Thrifting - from a sewing perspective

 One of my daughters is an avid thrifter. She has amassed an enviable (and extensive) wardrobe from her finds - some designer, some just interesting and unique styles. She even has a little side business selling items that aren't right for her. I've benefited from her skill at times too - she keeps an eye out for things that might work for me - admittedly harder to find, as I am not slender and easy to fit. In addition, as a sewist I really enjoy the process of making what I'd like to wear so my focus is not on finding outfits, but rather bits and pieces that I can work into what I make, or that will accessorize what I make.

A recent trip with my daughter turned up a sweater that caught my eye. It was not a style I favor wearing, nor colors that find their way into my clothing, but it did have interesting buttons. I quickly snapped it up. 


Aren't they nice? And at $1US each I think they were a good buy also. They are pewter, from Danforth, who no longer appear to be making buttons. And not to worry - I found some unneeded buttons in my stash that worked nicely to put on the sweater, so it will be re-donated and hopefully will be found by someone who loves the style and color.

I love wearing hats I've made, and it's always nice to have a little something to set them off. I don't wear brooches on anything else, but a pin often finds its way to one of my hats.

Like a sterling silver flower pin.

Or, how about this one? 


 Who wouldn't want a "feather in their cap"?


I haven't (yet) found any unicorn patterns - Issey Miyake remains elusive - but it's always fun to look through the patterns on op-shop offer, if only to be amazed by how many I already own!


One item that piqued my interest was an Albert Nippon red wool jacket with black velvet roses. It looked as if it had been part of a suit, 

and was a teeny size, but for a second or two I thought about getting it to harvest those roses. Common sense prevailed, and I left it, as I wasn't confident about being able to remove them without them falling apart, but I was sorely tempted.

So, even if I'm not interested in buying outfits, or re-working  (up-cycling?) clothing pieces, there's always something interesting and fun to find on a thrift store safari. Happy hunting everyone!

No comments: