Saturday, September 29, 2007

Could It Be Any Easier? Neck Cozy

If you'd like to keep the chill from your neck but don't want to shell out $297 -- here's a crochet version of a little item that's been getting some attention lately. It's a rectangle, it's two buttons and corresponding buttonholes, so we're not talking rocket science here. You could really go wild with yarns, stitch patterns or decorative effects, but here's my simple, no-frills version:

Could It Be Any Easier? Neck Cozy


Materials: Elann Peruvian Collection Pure Alpaca, 2 balls (100% pure alpaca, 109 yards per 50 gr. ball)

Hooks: size 6.5 mm (K) and size 6 mm (J)

2 large buttons


Pattern Stitch: Woven Stitch, worked over an even number of stitches


Set Up Row: SC in second chain from hook, *chain 1, skip 1 chain, 1 SC in next chain, repeat from * to end. Turn.


Pattern Row: Chain 1, skip first SC, *1 SC in chain-1 space, Chain 1, skip 1 SC, repeat from *, ending by making SC in chain 1, turn.



With double strand of yarn, and larger hook, chain 92. Change to smaller (J) hook and work Set-Up Row of pattern across chain.
Rows 2 & 3: Work Pattern Row across stitches.
Row 4: (buttonhole row) Work 4 stitches (ch 1, sc, ch 1, sc), chain 3, skip 3 stitches (these three skipped stitches are: sc, ch 1, sc) and continue in pattern to end of row.
Row 5: Work Pattern Row as established, but when you come to the chain 3 space of the previous row, work (sc, ch 1, sc) in that space.
Rows 6 - 9: Work Pattern Row as established
Row 10: Work Buttonhole Row as before
Row 11: Work Pattern Row as established, and when you come to chain 3 space of the previous row, work (sc, ch 1, sc) in that space.
Row 12: Work Pattern Row as established. End off, turn, and work a row of sc across the short end of the neck cozy.

For proper placement of buttons, fold neck cozy as it is to be worn, and mark placement of buttons. Buttons are placed side-to-side lengthwise, not across short end of cozy.


Cozy worked in this gauge measures 4 x 28 inches. For a tighter fit around neck, work over fewer stitches. Work more rows if you prefer a higher cozy (there should be enough yarn to do several more rows). You may want to change the buttonholes to different rows if you make the cozy higher.

15 comments:

Mary Sarah said...

Love this! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing the pattern!

Anonymous said...

This is soooo cool! And it would keep the wearer's neck soooo warm (LOL)! A great idea!! And so generous of you to share the pattern!

Anonymous said...

I really love your Neck Cozy but it is crocheted and I can barely knit.
Do you have a knit pattern as well?

I am so impressed by your talents. Not only do you design and knit but you also crochet!!!! Is there no end to your abilities?
chloe
>>.eholc77(at)AOL(dot)com
P.S. If I wish to leave a comment and don't have a Google identity, then there is no place to give my email address.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful idea...I have seen these scarfs in the city and they are very expensive...

Quick question?? I made up this scarf and it appears there is an error in the pattern? should it be work pattern rows 6-8, second buttonhole pattern is row 9??
Thanks
Lee

Karen said...

Lee -- You can, of course, space the buttonholes any way you would like. I spaced them as I did on this cozy so that the buttonholes would be placed the same distance from either (outer) edge of the scarf -- therefore, due to the number of rows I worked there is greater space 'between' them. Is that any clearer? But really, crocheter's choice on where you want them -- just get them on the same end! (laugh)

Anonymous said...

Thank You Karen..you are terif..will give it a try
Bless you for this pattern
Love Your Site
Best Wishes
Lee

Anita said...

This is gorgeous! Thanks for the pattern!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm extremely new at knitting and all I can really do is do the basic knit and purl (for checkers).

Do you think you would be able to explain to me the pattern you used or link me on to somewhere I could?
I'm dying to know how to make a Pidge scarf haha.

Thankyee xox

Anonymous said...

haha my mistake - forgot to leave contact det.

keep-it-gay@hotmail(dot)com

Michelle said...

Hi! Thanks for writing this pattern up! I've been having a ball making them. I suspect all my cold-necked friends will be getting one this winter. And thanks for coming by my blog.

Cheers
Michelle

Anonymous said...

To answer your question, no it probably couldn't be any easier or mine would not have turned out well on the first try. Thank you so much for the pattern.

Anonymous said...

I am confused...how many chain stitches do we start with? I must be missing it somehow. I'm an experienced crocheter, but shouldn't the pattern start with "Chain __". Help?

Karen said...

Anonymous -- You need to read a little further into the pattern. After the description of the stitch pattern you'll see specific instructions as to which hook to use and how many chains to make.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this lovely pattern, I can't wait to make it. What a great way of using up leftover yarn. :Dghtendiv

Unknown said...

thank yiu for the pattern, I amm making these for Xmas gifts. Here is Wisconsin it gets very cold and these will be perfect