Monday, September 24, 2007

I LOVE a quick project!

I wanted to try a new (to me) yarn from Elann, Luxury Merino Superwash, so I went with a quick crocheted hat. The hat pattern is from Crochet Hats! by Candi Jensen, and is meant to be a child's size. I fussed about with the gauge/stitches/rows to get something to fit me.

It was a pleasure to work with the yarn -- it's soft, and feels delightful. I noticed a few pills as I was working with it, so I'm not sure I would want to use it for something subjected to heavy abrasion, but then that's kind of the nature of merino. Each skein has 122 yards (112 metres) per 50 grams, which I think puts it in the range of a DK/light worsted weight yarn. Label lists it as 'superwash', and the care is stated as machine wash - cold, lay flat to dry. Worth checking out if you're in the market for a reasonably priced merino, but do keep in mind that you may get pills with wear. For me, the softness is worth it -- this is a definite 'wear next to the skin' yarn, but your needs/wants may vary.

Also in progress is a pair of socks made in the August selection of The Yarn Yard's sock club yarn. Pattern is Waving Lace by Evelyn Clark from the Interweave book - Favorite Socks. I think it's turning out quite nice.

Progress continues on the Falkenberg Plissé, but it photographs as an orange-y blob, so we'll wait until it has a more recognizable shape. At any rate, one ball of yarn down -- many more to go!

1 comment:

Lesalicious said...

I am the same love quick projects. The hat is neat great job:)The sock looks warm and comfy that would go so well with the fall. :)