Wednesday, January 22, 2020

A Flight of Butterflies

Still many days until the butterflies return, but how about a few beaded ones to brighten a wintery day?

The first three shown are from an ebook, Brick-stitch Beaded Butterflies by Karen Parker --

a Crimson Callicore:   

a Blue Morpho:


and lightly tacked down on my straw hat -- an Apollo butterfly:


So far, as you can see, I've only managed to put the Apollo to good use.  The Blue Morpho has always been meant to be transformed into a necklace -- but I have been stuck in a design rut as to how to finish it off.  My first thought was a silk ribbon, but then doubts crept in and there it sits.

The Crimson Callicore may end up as an ornament on a clutch, similar to how I used the last butterfly -- an anonymous figment of my imagination:


This one has been embroidered onto a backing of wool felt and sewn on to the flap of a little raw silk clutch I made. I'm sure I had some type of pattern (at least for the shaping) but I no longer remember where it might be from. 

I have beads to make a couple more -- there's something very relaxing and meditative about making them -- but I'd really like to find a better way of admiring them than atop a thread cabinet in the sewing room. Still, they do spark joy!





No comments: