Sunday, December 12, 2021

Woolies

 The weather here is starting to enter winter territory, although there are still some warmer days, so it's time to get serious with wool -- one hand knit, one sewn.

Mr. Minglingyarn has become a big pickleball fan and plays (outdoors) with a group that calls itself 'The Polar Bears'.  Alrighty then -- how about a hat to keep those ears toasty? I made a slightly altered version of the 1898 Hat and was delighted to find a graph online for a polar bear. I needed more rows for the bear design than would have been available by knitting the pattern as directed, so I simply cut down the width of the garter edging. The ear flap shaping stayed exactly the same, but a narrower band gave me the extra rows for the design. I also knit the hat flat instead of in the round so that I would have a nice open space to do the bear in duplicate stitch. This was my first experience with duplicate stitch and while it's not perfect -- it will be fine for a hat worn while playing.


I also (just happened) to be browsing Mood Fabrics recently and found a grey/black wool knit in buffalo plaid -- no link, as I believe I got the last bit -- snapped that up so fast the cart was spinning! I am always cold so wool knits are my favorites for winter tops. When the fabric arrived I was a little apprehensive as it was thicker than expected, but it handled really well with just a few adjustments to my machine and serger. I decided to sew a stripped-down variation of  the Toaster Sweater. Bring it on Ol' Man Winter -- I'm ready!


No comments: