Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Sewing/Machine Knitting/Hand Knitting -- What, No Crochet?

 It's a small project, but I managed to squeeze 3 techniques into its completion. Behold -- mittens!  

The fabric for the body of the mittens was machine knit and supposed to be one half of a scarf (directional print, needed to be done in 2 pieces), but after washing and blocking the piece I decided that the yarn wasn't soft enough for around the neck wear. Not wanting to waste it, I thought it would work for mittens. I had already made up the Tova mittens from The Last Stitch from a felted RTW sweater and knew it was a good pattern.

I wanted ribbing for the cuff, and my knitting machine has no ribber, so hand knitting it was! 
So glad that I was able to salvage even a small piece of my machine knit fabric.

I have managed a little sewing too. I bought a few pieces of fabric from Fabric Mart and managed to sew one of them up before it hit the stash. Whoa, that almost never happens! The pattern I used was Preston from Style Arc. The fabric a double-faced knit (cotton/linen/Lycra), heathered linen on the face, and grey cotton knit on the reverse. I left off the pockets because I had to reduce some length on the pattern in order to fit it on the yardage I had. I will make them next time. It's a simple raglan, boxy top that's right up my alley for everyday wear.


And so it goes...


 

No comments: