Wednesday, July 4, 2007

A little sewing, a little crochet...

I have previously mentioned wanting to do a variation on the Galaxy Top by Katy Westcott. Not quite done yet, but here's what I have so far.

Instead of working with a purchased tee-shirt, I used some cotton interlock I had on hand and a simple sleeveless tee-shirt pattern to sew the body. The bodice yoke is some leftover cotton/microfiber yarn that I used for a lacy bolero. I had originally thought to use motifs from the latest Japanese crochet pattern book I got, but the yarn didn't really lend itself to that (too soft). So I went with an allover stitch pattern -

I decided to make the yoke as a separate piece and just sew it to the edge of the front and back pieces instead of picking up stitches from the fabric. It seemed to work fine, but I have a feeling that Katy's method is a bit easier.

I haven't hemmed it yet, as I'm still trying to decide if I want to have a plain hem, or add a crochet border. We'll see.

Despite the fact that I procrastinated quite a bit with the sewing, it's a quick little technique that gives fairly good results, I think.

3 comments:

Annette said...

How pretty!

I really love the combination of crochet and fabric

KnitYoga said...

That's really lovely! I like crochet/knitting with sewn designs. I've not sewn much myself but every time I see something like you've produced I want to get my sewing machine out and have a go! Thanks for your comment on my blog. :-)

Karen said...

your my kid of gal its awesome! I love combining crafts