Thursday, July 26, 2007

Okay, made it through that...

...with only minor brain damage from hitting my head against a wall too many times to mention. It's taken me a while, but I'm finally realizing why my Google searches aren't turning up a lot of completed Sandys.

Anyway, I do believe I've managed to (successfully) complete a shaped side panel and start on my way to sleeve completion. For those playing along at home, here's a few things I've learned.

There are eleven math calculations needed to be done before starting this section, and - surprise! - all known pattern errata are in this section. So, check pattern errata carefully, then double check to make sure you didn't miss one. (rip out #1)

Next, make sure your slipped stitches are done with your yarn in proper position (i.e. to the wrong side). This comes naturally with the first slipped stitch, but you need to remember to bring your working yarn to the back before slipping that second one. (rip out #2)

Now, rip out #3 has more to do with my shape than with the pattern. It's a curious thing though - you do all these calculations to customize the width of the sweater, but (as far as I can tell) there is no mention of adjusting where you are placing the waist. Again, as far as I can tell, everyone has the narrowest part of the garment falling at row 72. Can you tell that this just might be one of my fitting issues? If I'm going to the trouble of doing all this math, then I want to make sure that my narrowest part hits at the same place as the garment's narrowest part. So, rip it good!

At this point in the program I would normally be wadding the sweater up and throwing it in the back of the closet. Instead, I read the final Harry Potter and was cheered by someone in a bigger mess than I was.

I was glad that I initially decided to keep the sweater in 2 separate pieces through the side panel shaping. I have yet to see a problem with seaming the back after this is done, and it was nice not to have quite as much fabric flopping about as I knit, and re-knit. Your mileage may vary, though.

So, plodding along with the sleeve now, and wondering what new challenges await!

(A closer view of the side panel)

No comments: