Thursday, March 31, 2022

Moving On

 It was Spring for a few days and now we're back to colder temps. So perhaps my late finished knitted items might get a wear or two? Probably not, it's not that frigid, but here are a couple of knitted stragglers. 

First up - a practice mitt. I don't have enough yarn to make another, but I wanted to try out this pattern for fit and ease of knitting. It's Honey's Mittens from Schoolhouse Press and it's a lovely, well-written pattern. I needed to reduce the height to fit my hand, which is regrettable because the full pattern is even nicer. 


There're additional instructions to add a 'cover' to the palm in case of wear, but that will be left off when I get back to make the mittens again. 

I saw a new-to-me type of yarn (blow yarn) while reading a blog and decided that I really needed to try it.  Instead of being spun the yarn is blown into a tube - interesting, yes? This particular blogger had used Drops Air for her sweater, so I ordered a wee bit of that to make something small. There are probably other yarns made in a similar way, but I went with what I saw. I used a free pattern from the Garn Studio site for a balaclava. The pattern was mostly knitted in seed stitch (moss stitch to non-US knitters), but after knitting the lower border I decided to continue on with plain stockinette - much faster!

As mentioned, the yarn is Drops Air - 65% alpaca, 28% polyamide (the tubing I suspect) and 7% wool (breed not specified).

I thought the yarn was quite nice - very soft - and I'll probably knit up a hat with the leftovers. I doubt that I will use this type of yarn for a sweater though. It seems to have more of a 'matted' look than the soft halo effect you get from a spun yarn of alpaca. Just my opinion of course. 

And so ends the winter knitting. I have started on a few sewn items for Spring, but that's a post for another day. Stay well everyone!




No comments: