Saturday, April 9, 2022

So sew

 I've been concentrating on tops for Spring - mostly tees, as that's the majority of my top wardrobe for warmer weather (which seems to come and go around here - mostly going at the moment).

First, though, the blouse that caused me so much angst over my vision issues. Well, black fabric will do that with aging eyes I suspect. Although I am not entirely happy with my sewing on this one I think it will be perfectly serviceable for everyday wear. The pattern is my basic shoulder princess seam block (mentioned previously) with "grandpa" collar (i.e. the collar band only) and the sleeve adapted to be a 3/4 length lantern sleeve. I used the visuals from a tutorial at PatternLab. The tutorial is actually for computer drafting, but the visuals were enough to get me through old school paper and pencil drafting - it's a very simple change. There is also a tutorial on the Threads magazine site, however it is for a lantern sleeve with an additional section which is not what I wanted.   


The fabric is a cotton poplin (I think!) from Fabric Mart. Any issues I had with it were entirely due to my own situation. 

After the shirt, I was ready for something easier and so I got out my TNT tee pattern from Pamela's Patterns. 

Just to add a little change, I decided to make 3/4 length sleeves and add some fullness to them. My first attempt was with a rayon jersey I wasn't completely sure about - it seemed like it might be a bit thinner than I like. It turned out fine (both the alteration and the fabric weight) so it was saved from being a pajama top. I next made it up in an Art Gallery cotton jersey - pink is such a mood brightener!


 

Then, I decided to stitch up a cotton jersey from Emma One Sock. The fabric itself is lovely, but the colors turned out to be much more pastel than I really like. I thought I would bring a punch of darker color to it by using some left over purple as neck/sleeve binding. I thought wrong! I also thought wrong by making elbow length sleeves. Ugh! There was leftover stripe fabric so I cut the sleeves down to a better length and simply used self-fabric bands. I decided to change the neckline by adding a mock turtleneck. Why not? 



I was happier with the change in shape, but still not convinced it was very flattering color-wise. Luckily I had purchased a RTW jean jacket in a hot pink shade, so I tried them together and I think it will work. 

Alright then - on to the next challenge. 
  





   

1 comment:

SewRuthie said...

Some really lovely makes, I shall be checking your blog out to see what else is coming up