Wednesday, August 16, 2023

And just like that...

 ...summer sewing is done. Summer heat remains though, so hopefully there will be more wearings for many items. 

I ended up doing a good bit of sewing for our family get-together beach vacation, which sadly didn't happen for DH and me due to illness. Thankfully not Covid, but a rather nasty viral infection that would not let go of us -- better now, but still with a nagging cough.  So perhaps the 2 (!) caftans I made for swanning around the pool and long walks along the water's edge won't be worn this year, but so it goes. I have been wearing the Sinclair Patterns Cleo shorts/culottes and various new tees though.


Here's one of the caftans - Closet Core Charlie, with a couple of mods. I ended up going my own way with the waist inset - and I added a little "strap" across the vee neckline to add a bit of modesty to the plunge.

Most of the reviews I've read about this pattern mention the difficulties sewers have had with the inset piece at the waist. I fully intended to make the pattern as directed, but decided why give myself extra aggravation for a holiday sew that won't be worn much. So, I totally separated the bodice from the skirt in the front - making it simpler to lengthen the bodice for added benefit, and appliqued the rectangular waist piece and ties over the resulting seam. Easy and simple, just like I prefer!



No comments: